Monday, October 1, 2012

Song Scape

When I a little girl, my mother would always sing to us -- my sister and I.  One song in particular, she used to sing, was Sunbonnet Sue.  My mother wasn't one with a singing voice, but when she sang that song, I felt warm and secure.  At that very moment in my very young mind, I was the only one that mattered to her. 

Sunbonnet Sue was written by songwriter Will D. Cobb back in 1906.  A 1908 rendition by Harland is uploaded on Youtube.com.  Listening to this recording brings back clear and beautiful memories of me standing next to my mother, combing her hair while she sang Sunbonnet Sue.

As I got older, I became ammusingly aware of the many songs that were written in honor of my name sake -- Sue, Susie, Suzy, Susan, Susanna, Suzanne.  So I went on a search.  Song writers, it seemed, were -- have been perpetually in love with some form of Susan since the mid 1800s.

In 1979, I walked into The Bagdad cabaret and nightclub, then on Broadway in San Francisco, and met with owner Jad Elias.  A budding belly dancer with visions of grandeur and high expectations, I introduced myself to him.  What quickly spilled out of his mouth left me standing in amazement. 

I danced at The Bagdad for the next three years and feasted on the sweet lyrics of many an Arabic song, and one American one in particular.  This highly respected Arabic musician often honored me from time to time, sometime on stage, with If You Knew Susie Like I Know Susie.

While, I'm sure this is not a complete list (and it is a work in progress primarily for my own knowledge), and while some of these songs have been re-recorded by different artists, this is what I found:

1848: Oh Susanna by Stephen Foster

1925: Oh Susanna by Arthur Fields
1925: If You Knew Susie Like I Know Susie sung by Eddie Cantor
1928: Sweet Sue, Just You by Victor Young and Will Harris, sung by Bing Crosby

1945: Souix City Sue by Geme Autry

1957: Susie Q by Dale Hawkins
1957: Wake Up Little Susie by Everly Brothers
1957: Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly
1958: Little Suzie by the Blues Musician Ray Bryant
1958: Susie Darlin' by Robin Luke
1959: Suzy Baby by Bobby Vee
1959: That's My Little Susie by Ritchie Valens

1961: Runaround Sue by Dion and the Belmonts
1962: Susie Darlin' by Tommy Roe
1963: Sue's Gotta Be Mine by Del Shannon
1963: Tra La La La Suzy by Dean & Jean
1967: Susannah's Still Alive by Dave Davies
1967: Suzanne On A Sunday Morning by Ricky Nelson
1967: Susan by The Buckinghams
1968: Suzanne by Leonard Cohen
1968: Suzie Q by Creedence Clearwater Revivial
1969: Hello Suzie by Amen Corner
1969: Sorry Suzanne by The Hollies
1969: A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash

1970: Wake Up Little Susie by Marty Wilde
1971: Susan Van Heusen by Gilbert O'Sullivan
1972: Suzanne Beware Of The Devil by Dandy Livingstone
1976: Susan by The Spinners
1977: Wake Up Little Suzy by Mike Berry

1981: Runaround Sue by Brittish pop group, Racey
1981: Wake Up Little Susie by Simon and Garfunkel
1984: Susanna by Art Company

1997: Susan's House by The Eels

Susan Song by songwriter Tom Glazer
Susan's Song by Al Jarreau
Susan Himmelblå by Kim Larsen


19XX: Oh Sweet Susannah by Mooney Suzuki
19XX: Susan by Aimee Mann
19XX: Susie Q Sailaway by Self
19XX: Suzy Lee by The White Stripes
XXXX: Susanville by The Vandals




2 comments:

James Bier said...

1969: Where the Playground, Susie? by Glen Campbell

Sausan M said...

THANKS! :-)